Acheson Doyle Partners began work on the Church of St. Brigid-St. Emeric in New York, NY in 2008 when severe structural damage left the building unsafe to occupy. Originally constructed in 1848, the Church has been a significant anchor in New York City’s diverse East Village community. The original slate roof was replaced with period-appropriate copper to alleviate weight on the wood roof trusses. The facades were reclad in custom cast-stone units to match the original brownstone that was unsalvageable. Damaged plaster ceiling vaults were rebuilt and new stained glass windows incorporated the medallions from the original windows. Interior upgrades included decorative stenciling based on photographs from the early 1900s, and renovation of the church undercroft, rectory, and mechanical infrastructure.
New York, NY
Featured, Historic, Religious