Acheson Doyle Partners was engaged in a long term restoration at St. Patrick’s Old Cathedral, the original seat of the Archdiocese of New York. Work began with the exterior restoration of the Cathedral (1809) and the Convent-School (1826). Multiple Layers of paint were removed from the facades, exposing the original brick and stone. The Cathedral’s slate roof was replaced and the original copper roof of the Convent-School was restored. Window lintels, window surrounds, and stained glass panels were carefully restored. Subsequently, a full renovation of the Parish House (1900) was completed, with improved office, meeting and living space, and new elevator and building infrastructure to bring the facility up to date. Deterioration of the landmarked cemetery wall that runs 200 feet alongside the Cathedral was halted with the construction of new buttresses on the land side of the wall and with the addition of lateral reinforcing hidden in mortar joints. Interior restoration of the Cathedral was completed in 2017. All restoration work was done in cooperation with the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission.
New York, NY