Acheson Doyle Partners was engaged by ArchCare in 2014 to undertake the restoration of the Hospital Building at Terence Cardinal Cooke. The oldest building of this three building complex, it was designed in 1920 by York & Sawyer. The X-shaped building sits opposite the Central Park Conservatory Garden and spans 5th Avenue between 105th and 106th Streets. The building was first known as the Fifth Avenue Hospital. Considered to be designed in the Academic Classic tradition, the 10-story building is notable for the limestone base, upper façade of stucco with terracotta trim, and the prominent terracotta tile roof. Much of the restoration work involved replacement of a significant number of damaged or missing terracotta corbels at the cornice. While ADP had access to many of the original architectural and structural drawings, probes were still critical to understand how the corbels were attached to the building. ADP worked with the project structural engineers to devise an anchoring system to secure new pieces, utilizing existing components where possible, fabricated from architectural fiberglass reinforced plastic, chosen because it would be lighter, easier and faster to fabricate, and less expensive than terracotta.
PHOTO CREDIT: © MATTHEW X. KIERNAN/NEW YORK BIG APPLE IMAGES.
New York, NY