Academy of St. Joseph
Acheson Doyle Partners restored and updated the Church and Academy of St. Joseph, located in the Greenwich Village historic district of New York City. The Church building, a fine example of a Greek Revival Temple constructed in 1834, required restoration to renew the simple, beautiful proportions and details that had become obscured by years of neglect. Color selections are subtle and elegant and punctuated by an accent red color on the doors for liturgical symbolism. All exterior lighting fixtures are low profile and positioned to accentuate the architecture. The School building, constructed in 1874, had been closed and unoccupied for several years when the Archdiocese embarked on an interior renovation to suit grades Pre-K through eighth with new classrooms, science labs, library, art room, auditorium, administration offices, kitchen and cafeteria. Infrastructure upgrades included a new elevator, sprinklers, and air-conditioning system. The interiors were freshened with lively colors, materials, and furnishings.