Church of St. Brigid-St. Emeric
St. Brigid’s Church (now Church of St. Brigid-St. Emeric), designed by Patrick Keely, has been an East Village anchor since 1848. By 2008, severe structural damage left the church unsafe to occupy. Underpinning of the foundation halted the structural deterioration and stabilized the building. Careful surveying and probes identified features of the building that could be preserved or repaired, or that needed replacement.
The original slate roof was replaced with period appropriate copper to alleviate weight on the wood roof trusses. The facades were reclad in custom cast-stone units to match the original brownstone that was unsalvageable. Damaged plaster ceiling vaults were rebuilt and new stained glass windows incorporate the medallions from the original windows. Interior decorative stenciling was based on photographs from the early 1900s and the color palette richly articulates and enlivens the interior.
The project received the 2014 Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award from the New York Landmarks Conservancy, the 2013 AIA Sacred Building Design Award, and the 2013 ENR Construction Award.