Basilica of St. Patrick’s Old Cathedral
In 2001, the Trustees of St. Patrick’s Old Cathedral authorized the restoration of five historic structures that comprise the campus, the original seat of the Catholic Archdiocese of New York. Work began with the exterior restoration of the Cathedral (from 1809) and the Convent-School (from 1826); multiple layers of paint were removed from the facades, exposing the original brick and stone; the Cathedral’s slate roof was replaced and the original copper roof of the Convent-School was restored; window lintels, window surrounds, and stained glass panels were painstakingly restored. All work was done in cooperation with the NYC Landmarks Preservation Commission. A full renovation of the Parish House (from 1900) followed in 2007, with improved office, meeting and living space, and new elevator and building infrastructure to bring the facility up-to-date. The landmarked cemetery wall that runs 200 feet alongside the Church, which showed signs of buckling, was next addressed in 2010; new buttresses behind the wall and lateral reinforcing hidden in the mortar joints halted the deterioration; archaeological monitoring was deployed to protect the burial plots during construction.
ADP is currently engaged to renovate the Cathedral interior.